What is the QuantiFERON-CMV test?
QuantiFERON-CMV is a whole blood interferon-gamma release assay to monitor changes in cell-mediated immunity to cytomegalovirus (CMV). CMV is the most common and problematic viral infection in solid organ transplant recipients.
QF-CMV is not a direct test determining CMV infection and should not solely be used to exclude CMV infection.
What are the clinical applications of QuantiFERON-CMV?
Loss of anti-CMV immune function may be associated with the development of CMV disease.
- Monitoring a patient’s level of anti-CMV immunity.
- Quantifying in vitro responses to CMV peptide antigens associated with immune control of CMV infection.
Research indicates that QuantiFERON-CMV may have future applications in:
- Predicting the risk of CMV disease (1–2)
- Guiding antiviral prophylaxis (2)
1) Manuel, O., et al. (2013) Clin. Infect. Dis. 56, 817–824.
2) Lisboa, L.F., et al. (2012) American Journal of Transplantation 93, 195-200.