Choose QuantiFERON-TB Gold Plus for enrollment TB testing
The CDC now prefers TB blood tests (IGRAs) over the traditional skin test for TB testing associated with school enrollment (1). College and university TB prevention programs across the country are replacing the century-old TB skin test with QuantiFERON-TB Gold Plus to their support student and staff screening programs.
Watch a free webinar on student TB testing with Dr. Masae Kawamura
Watch our on-demand webinar event, “Implementing IGRA: The benefits of TB blood testing for university student health programs,” to learn more about the most recent TB testing recommendations by ACHA and the CDC, and how IGRA-based testing can improve the effectiveness of college screening programs while increasing the efficiency of health center operations. The program is led by Dr. Masae Kawamura and features real-world perspectives by your student health provider colleagues.
Have you checked your admissions forms recently?
Healthcare providers often feel restricted in their ability to choose the best TB testing method due to outdated school forms that specifically require a TB skin test (TST). Make sure your forms align with current CDC recommendations by including an IGRA option as a replacement for the TST – including two-step TST which can require up to 4 visits!
The American College Health Association encourages student TB testing
According to the ACHA, screening and targeted testing for TB is a key strategy for controlling and preventing infection on college and university campuses (2).
The ACHA recommends that all incoming students should be screened for risk factors for TB through a screening questionnaire. Moreover:
- IGRAs like QFT-Plus may be used in all circumstances where the TST is currently used
- Two-step testing is not needed with IGRAs
Did you know that QFT-Plus can improve your TB testing program?
- Single visit – skin test can require up to four visits
- Available through your current lab service provider
- Covered by insurance providers
- Unaffected by prior BCG vaccination
Find out more about QFT-Plus at our Provider Resources Portal
1. Lewinsohn, D.M. et al. (2017) Official American Thoracic Society/Infectious Diseases Society of America/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Clinical Practice Guidelines: Diagnosis of Tuberculosis in Adults and Children. Clin. Infect. Dis. 64, 111-115.
2. American College Health Association. (2017) Tuberculosis screening and targeted testing of college and university students. May 2017. 1–9.
Disclaimer: The performance of the USA format of the QFT-Plus test has not been extensively evaluated with specimens from individuals younger than age 17 years.